ODPHP, in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health, and the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition, is leading development of the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans (Physical Activity Guidelines or the Guidelines).
The Physical Activity Guidelines is an essential resource for health professionals and policymakers. The current edition includes recommendations for Americans ages 6 years and over — including those at increased risk of chronic disease — and provides science-based advice on how physical activity can help promote health and reduce the risk of chronic disease. The Guidelines serves as the primary, authoritative voice of the federal government for evidence-based guidance on physical activity, fitness, and health for Americans.
The first edition of the Guidelines was released in 2008. Five years after this release, HHS developed the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Midcourse Report: Strategies to Increase Physical Activity Among Youth. The second edition of the Guidelines will build upon the first edition and form a foundation for federal physical activity and education programs.
As the first step in the process of updating the Guidelines, 17 nationally recognized experts in physical activity and health have been appointed to serve on the Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee (the Committee).
The Committee will work over 2 years to examine current scientific evidence on the relationship between physical activity and health. The Committee’s work will culminate with a scientific advisory report submitted to the Secretary of HHS with evidence-based recommendations. HHS will review the Committee’s recommendations and develop and publish the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
Members of the public will have the opportunity to provide public comments throughout the process. This website will provide a platform for submitting and viewing public comments and will also house all materials related to the revision process, including announcements and archived webinars of public meetings. Information will also be published in the Federal Register.
The tentative timeline for the development and publication of the second edition of the Guidelines is provided below.
- HHS solicited nominations for the Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee
- Committee members are appointed
- The Committee holds its first public meeting (open to the public in person and via webcast)
- Review of current scientific evidence begins
- Public comment database is opened
Fall 2016 to Winter 2016/2017
- The Committee holds additional public meetings (1 meeting includes public oral testimony; all are open to the public via webcast)
- The Committee reviews current scientific evidence
- The Committee issues its scientific advisory report to the HHS Secretary
- The Committee’s scientific advisory report is available to public for comment
Winter 2017/2018 to Summer 2018
- HHS considers the Committee’s scientific recommendations and public and agency comments
- HHS prepares the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines
- HHS releases the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, 2nd Edition
2018 and Beyond
- The updated recommendations from the second edition of the Guidelines are implemented in federal initiatives, programs, and resources such as Let’s Move! initiatives; physical activity data collection and monitoring; and Healthy People national public health objectives