March 10, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. ET | Register Now
This Healthy People 2020 Spotlight on Health webinar will examine the role of law and policy as driving forces influencing the social determinants of health. Join presenters from ODPHP, ChangeLab Solutions, Cincinnati Child Health-Law Partnership, the Cincinnati Health Department, and the National Center for Medical-Legal Partnership who will explore innovative approaches to address social determinants of health at the individual and community levels.
Presenters will highlight the relationship between housing quality and health by demonstrating how:
- adding lawyers to the health care team assisted in the treatment of asthma;
- communities can leverage public health law—specifically housing codes—to achieve better health;
- communities can build non-traditional partnerships to improve health;
- a medical-legal partnership operates;
- geomarking and social risk screening can identify communities and patients harmed by low-quality housing; and
- communities can enact and implement laws to improve housing quality.