Continuing Education Credits
Continuing Professional Education Credit for Registered Dietitians (RD) and Dietetic Technicians, Registered (DTR)
If you are an RD or DTR you can get Continuing Professional Education Units (CPEUs) for observing the proceedings of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) via the live webcasts or by reviewing and discussing materials of past meetings. The website www.DietaryGuidelines.gov will include information about the dates and times of future DGAC meetings once announced. Archived recordings of previous DGAC meetings and other resources, including an “online meeting notebook,” are also available at www.DietaryGuidelines.gov, under the “Meetings” tab.
Receive Free CPE Credit by viewing the “Live Event” in real time. After registration opens for a meeting, you can register at www.DietaryGuidelines.gov. You can submit 1 CPEU for each hour of viewing. Although a question and answer session will not take place during the meeting, you are encouraged to submit your thoughts to the DGAC via the public comments database at www.DietaryGuidelines.gov.
- For your Professional Development Portfolio, you’ll need to enter the following information: the program title, provider, date completed, and CPEUs requested.
- Documentation to retain for your records: DGAC Meeting Agenda and provider contact information: Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Department of Health and Human Services, 1101 Wootton Parkway, Suite LL 100, Rockville, MD 20852, phone (240) 453-8280, fax (240) 453-8282.
Receive Free CPE Credit by viewing a recorded event in a “Study Group.” Did you miss the last DGAC Meeting or do the meeting dates conflict with your schedule? You can also receive CPE credits by organizing a study group to view the recorded webcast and discuss the meeting proceedings. You can submit 1 CPEU for each hour of viewing and discussion with your study group. The DGAC proceedings generally run one to two days. You can review only a portion of this meeting depending on the topic of interest to your study group.
- To receive credit, an RD or DTR must organize the “study group.” As defined by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, a study group is a pre-planned group of 3 or more professionals (at least 1 must be an RD or DTR) who can have an in-depth group discussion about the topic(s) of focus for the proceedings viewed.
- You can view the archived recordings at www.DietaryGuidelines.gov under the “Meetings” tab. Archived webcast recordings are generally posted about two to three weeks after each meeting.
- For your Professional Development Portfolio, you’ll need to enter the following information: the title/topic, study group event coordinator, date completed, and CPEUs requested.
- Documentation to retain for your records include:
- The CPE Study Group Agenda/Outline with objectives, date, and timeline
- Name, address, phone number, and email address or fax number of the person who coordinated the study group.