When reviewing questions and supporting evidence at the public meeting, the Committee will refer to studies in the scientific literature. These questions and citations are part of the Committee’s deliberative process and are considered draft material under consideration. The information provided here relates to the topics discussed at this meeting and do not represent all of the questions or literature the Committee may consider as it completes its work. Final questions, details of the literature searches, and final literature that contributed to the Committee’s conclusions will be available in the Committee’s final report and/or on www.DietaryGuidelines.gov and www.NEL.gov.
SC 3: Diet and Physical Activity Behavior Change
What is the effect of use of food and menu labels on measures of food selection and dietary intake in U.S. population groups? What is the effect of use of food and menu labels on body weight across population groups?
NEL Systematic Review
- Dowray S,Swartz JJ,Braxton D,Viera AJ. Potential effect of physical activity based menu labels on the calorie content of selected fast food meals. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2013;38(6):666-72. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23220355.
- Gerend MA. Does Calorie Information Promote Lower Calorie Fast Food Choices Among College Students? Journal of Adolescent Health. 2009;44(1):84-86. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19101463.
- Harnack LJ,French SA,Oakes JM,Story MT,Jeffery RW,Rydell SA. Effects of calorie labeling and value size pricing on fast food meal choices: results from an experimental trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008;5:63. PMID:19061510. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19061510.
- James A,Adams-Huet B,Shah M. Menu Labels Displaying the Kilocalorie Content or the Exercise Equivalent: Effects on Energy Ordered and Consumed in Young Adults. Public Health Nutr. 2014;17(5):1147-55. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24575727.
- Roberto CA,Larsen PD,Agnew H,Baik J,Brownell KD. Evaluating the impact of menu labeling on food choices and intake. Am J Public Health. 2010;100(2):312-8. PMID:20019307. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20019307.
- Roseman MG,Mathe-Soulek K,Higgins JA. Relationships among grocery nutrition label users and consumers' attitudes and behavior toward restaurant menu labeling. J Prim Care Community Health. 2014;5(2):139-43. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24012965.
- Tandon PS,Wright J,Zhou C,Rogers CB,Christakis DA. Nutrition menu labeling may lead to lower-calorie restaurant meal choices for children. Pediatrics. 2010;125(2):244-8. PMID:20100765. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20100765.