Health Policy Residency
Considering a career in public health or health care policy? Get hands-on experience at ODPHP. We offer an exciting opportunity for students and future leaders through the APTR-ODPHP Health Policy Residency.
ODPHP offers rotations to graduate students, preventive medicine and primary care residents. Please note that all assignments are unpaid. While at ODPHP, these visiting scholars will have opportunities to:
- Assist in the implementation of Presidential and Secretarial initiatives, Healthy People 2020, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, and ODPHP-specific projects.
- Experience first-hand the basis for national policy decisions.
- Assist in coordinating initiatives and policy documents among the various agencies within HHS (e.g. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institutes of Health, Food and Drug Administration, etc.).
- Aid in preparing briefings for the ODPHP Director and the Assistant Secretary for Health.
- Have the opportunity to serve on interdepartmental committees involving a range of specific topics related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Understand the role of health communication in disease prevention and health promotion.
- Develop fundamental competencies in public health.