2010 Dietary Guidelines
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines was released on January 31, 2011.
- Read the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 [PDF – 2.9MB]
- Read the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010: Executive Summary [PDF – 227KB]
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines was designed to help people choose a healthy diet. It emphasizes 3 major goals for Americans:
- Balance calories with physical activity to manage weight
- Consume more of certain foods and nutrients such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat-free and low-fat dairy products, and seafood
- Consume fewer foods with sodium (salt), saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, added sugars, and refined grains
This edition of the Guidelines includes 23 key recommendations for the general population and 6 additional key recommendations for specific population groups, such as pregnant women.